Thursday, April 16, 2009

Chicken Coconut Curry


2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. curry powder
1/2 onion, sliced and cut in quarters
1 1/2 tsp. crushed garlic
1 14 oz. can coconut milk
1 pint of stewed tomatoes, drained
8 oz. can tomato sauce
2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced on an angle
4 large Yukon Gold or Red potatoes, chopped
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
2 Tbsp. butter
salt and pepper to taste
Basmati rice, cooked according to package directions

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, stir in curry powder and cook for a minute stirring constantly. Add onions and garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add chicken and cook over medium heat until chicken is no longer pink. Add remaining ingredients,except butter, and stir to combine. Cover, reduce heat and summer for 40 minutes until sauce thickens and potatoes are tender. Add butter and stir until melted. Serve over basmati rice.

4 comments:

Dan and Michelle said...

Looks delish! I think it would be good with potatoes too.

Dan and Michelle said...

Oh I'm a dork, it does have potatoes!

Jeff and Betsy said...

This looks so good! Do you use the sugar and red pepper flakes? I'm going to try it next week!

Betsy said...

I made this on Monday and it was great. I added an extra chicken breast, potato and carrot to split it with a friend too. Thank you for posting this - Jeff wants me to make it again! However, I will have to wait until it is warm enough and not raining so I can have my windows opened while I'm cooking. When will my house stop smelling like curry?!